Saturday 8 September 2012

The power of community empowerment

Therefore, Mutomo Maarifa Centre in collaboration with the Mutomo District Ministry of Livestock Production and Development organized for a technical training on these key areas on April this year. The training which was held in Malili village, Kyatune Location of Mutomo District was attended by 40 community members.

clip_image002[7]clip_image004[5]The training outcome

Two months down the lane, the group members are enjoying improved goat health and low goat mortality.

Mrs. Musembi says’ “although I could not write down notes during the training, I memorized the clinical signs of different goat diseases and the recommended treatment which I narrated to my son who is a primary school teacher. Since we treated the goats, no more have died and my goats are healthier”

 

The group’s Chairlady Mrs.Domitila Muimi who had also attended the training is of the same sentiments. She says that although she had attended a previous training, she had very limited knowledge on goat health.

“My goats had very poor health and most of them had diseases like diarrhea and coughing. Some of the kiclip_image006ds had also died. But after the training I realized what they were ailing from since all the clinical signs had been listed down. For instance, I only knew of one drug for worm infestation ( helminthesis ), but know I know of different varieties.” says Mrs.Muimi

She adds that as the group’s Chairlady she is grateful for the knowledge to her group members since it has equipped them with knowledge to overcome their challenges as small scale farmers.

“Whenever we meet as a group and I ask them a general question they always understand what is necessary to ensure they have healthier goats,” she concludes.

The group’s secretary Mr Kioko Kisuni says that the he now uses the knowledge to train other group members who did not attend the training

No comments:

Post a Comment